The Museum is a mobility friendly
attraction with wheelchair access
to all areas
The Helicopter Museum
Locking Moor Road
split its aircraft
manufacturing from its
concerns to form
Aircraft Limited, based in Yeovil, Somerset. During
World War II their factories were used to build Supermarine Spitfires.
Post-war the company moved out of fixed-wing aircraft and
concentrate solely on helicopters under a licensing agreement with
Sikorsky. Production started with the Sikorsky S-51, which became
the Dragonfly and entered
service with the Royal Navy
and RAF in 1953. The company has gone
through a number of mergers with several other British firms to
Helicopters in 1961.
Now part of Finmeccanica
it survives in name as Leonardo Helicopters
and is producing some of the most advanced
helicopters operated by the military worldwide.
Please follow one of the Links below to
view the other British companies
Westland WS-51 Dragonfly HR Mk.5
The Dragonfly HR Mk.5, WG719 started life as a HR Mk.3 and was
the 50th Dragonfly to be built and first flew from Yeovil on
19th September 1952 and delivered to No.705 Squadron Fleet Air Arm. Later it was converted
by Westland to HR Mk.5 standard, before joining No.776
Squadron in 1959.
In 1989 went on display with the Helicopter Museum.
Westland WS-51A Widgeon Series 2
The developed by Westland from the license-built S-51or Dragonfly. Built in 1957 at Yeovil,
G-AOZE was the
fifth Widgeon built and first flew
in July 1957 and was sold to Bristow Helicopters. In 1986 the aircraft came up for disposal and joined the Museum collection.
In 1995 long term restoration of the aircraft began and the aircraft has now
been moved back to the exhibition hanger.
Westland Scout AH Mk.1
Designed originally by Saunders-Roe at Cowes, Isle of Wight, the museum aircraft is
regarded as the first true Scout prototype. Built in 1960 at
Hampshire and first flew in August 1960. Delivered to the ETPS at RAE Farnborough in 1964
and in 1983 transferred to the
museum and extensively restored by the museum into its ETPS colours.
Westland Wasp HAS Mk.1
The 60th example to be built for the Royal Navy in 1966
flew at Yeovil on 29th March 1966 and was delivered to RNAY Fleetlands and later to
No.829 Squadron, Portland, Dorset. Declared redundant in 1993 and
donated to the museum and delivered in January
aircraft under went aa major 5 years restoration by the museum volunteers.
||Westland Lynx 3
The Lynx 3 was a private venture
built by Westland to demonstrate the potential
of a growth variant of the Lynx helicopter and largely used technology
already available. The Lynx 3 Prototype first flew in 1984 but lack of orders
caused the development to be abandoned in 1988 and was the only Lynx 3 built. In August 1988 when Westland
transferred this one-off to the
||Westland WS-55 Whirlwind Series 3
Built in 1955 as the 17th production Series 1
Whirlwind it first flew in August 1955. It was converted
in 1965 to Series 3 configuration and first flew
as such in July 1965. In August 1993 Bristow Helicopters donated it to The Helicopter
||Westland WS-55 Whirlwind
The Mk.12 was the first production example built in
1964 and one of only two VVIP aircraft built for the Queens Flight. the interior
was fitted with special soundproofing, luxury fittings, chrome trim and a high
gloss exterior finish. During it's operational duty the museums example was
piloted by HRH Prince Phillip and The Prince of Wales.
It Joined the museum collection in June 2000.
Westland Wessex 60
The Wessex Series 60 was a civil variant of the military Mk.5,
flew in July 1965. A total of 16 aircraft were built, all
Helicopters. G-AVNE, was the 7th Series 60 and the first long range
version, initially flown in May 1967. In 1987 the
aircraft was purchased by the museum.
||Westland Wessex HCC Mk.4
The Wessex HCC Mk.4 was identical to the HC Mk.2, but with special furnishings and equipment, operated by the RAF. A total of 2 aircraft were built, and
operated by the Queens Flight based at RAF Benson.
helicopter, XV733, was
used by all the senior members of the
Royal Family, including the Queen and Princess Diana, and
with the Royal Flight until 1998. In
2001 the aircraft was purchased by the
museum, with the assistance
from The National
© 2017 All images and information on this site are the copyright of the Museum.
Any reproduction is strictly with prior permission of the Museum